Our first photography competition will run from 1st January to 31st December 2016.
The rules of the 2016 competition are as follows:
- All images must have been taken between 1st January and 31st December 2016 and depict wild birds which are not in any way restrained, within the boundaries of the Essex County, and including Metropolitan Essex, covered by the Essex Birdwatching Society
- These may be digital images or scans of colour transparencies. Colour transparencies and prints are NOT permitted. Entries will be judged not only on technical excellence, but also on originality, scientific interest, aesthetic appeal and artistic composition.
- A maximum of 3 entries allowed per person.
- Two ages ranges. 1 – Adults and 2 - Under 18’s
- Photographs must not have been submitted for publication elsewhere, although images previously posted on websites are acceptable.
- The photographs in the final shortlist may be used at the discretion of the judges and editor for publication in Essex Birding and/or Essex Bird Report, including the Essex Birdwatching Society Calendar and future competitions. By entering images for this competition, entrants agree to these terms. Copyright of images remains with the photographer and use subsequent to publication in the above publications is unrestricted.
- A brief account must accompany each photograph, giving the circumstances in which it was obtained, the method used, technical details (exposure and shutter speed, ISO rating, make and model of lens and camera body etc.), locality, date and photographer’s name, address and email.
- Images with minor adjustments are acceptable. Manipulation of images shall be restricted as follows:
– Use of levels and curves and other tools to adjust contrast, brightness, exposure and colour saturation, and for minor cleaning work to remove dust spots.
– Images can be sharpened and noise removed. Cloning is forbidden.
– Images may be cropped to enhance their aesthetic appeal and artistic composition. Adding content is expressly forbidden.
– Entries shall be in JPEG format, at 300 dpi and at least 2600 pixels along the longest side, and saved once at level 12. Images that are over-cropped to the extent that the quality is compromised, making them unsuitable for publication, will not be accepted.
– Details of all image manipulation, together with a note of the software used, shall also be submitted, together with the original RAW or JPEG file from the camera.
– Manipulation that in any way changes the ‘science’ of the picture (for example, even minor changes to feather detail) is expressly forbidden.
– ALL entries are accepted only on the above conditions.
9. The 1st prize in each age range is a cash award of £100 plus a year’s membership of the Essex Birdwatching Society, 2nd prize is £50 plus a year’s membership of the Essex Birdwatching Society.
10. The closing date for entries to the 2016 competition is 15th January 2017.
11. Entries should be submitted by email to email@example.com or on CD to Steve Collins at 37 Springham Drive, Colchester, CO4 5FN
12. Please ensure that you include both a postal address and an e-mail address with your entry.
13. The competition is free to enter.
14. The judges’ decision is final.
15. Results will be announced at the 2017 AGM.
The winning entries will be featured in the 2017 summer issue of Essex Birding (issue 130) and exhibited on our stands throughout the year.