Essex Birding Winter 2017/Spring 2018
In addition to regular features such as the Chairman's Watchpoint, Margaret's Musings and latest news, this edition includes articles on:
A Spring Birding Tour of Texas
Mark Bridges continues his tour of Texas with Speyside Wildlife.
Essex Birdwatching Society Website
Hen Harrier Day
Neil Sumner explains why a public campaign against raptor persecution is needed and outlines the annual Hen Harrier events that have taken place since 2013.
- Spurn Bird Observatory, 1st Sept 2017 - Rob Adams, Chairman of Spurn Bird Observatory (SPO) and Trustee Nick Whitehouse provided an insight into the bird species that can be seen along the 5 mile peninsula protruding into the North Sea.
- Ecuador - Land of Swordbills & the Stinkbird, 6th Oct 2017 - Bill Baston revealed much about the country of Ecuador, with over 1,600 species.
- In Search of 'Flower Kissers', 1st Dec 2017 - Dr Michael Leach provided a wealth of information on some of the ca. 330 species of Hummingbirds that can be found anywhere between Alaska and the southern tip of South America.
- The 'Bird Fair' Rutland Water, 20th Aug 2017 - A report on the coach trip that EBS took to the Rutland Bird Fair - an event that has something for everyone interested in birds.
- Languard Bird Observatory, 24th Sept 2017 -
- Minsmere RSPB Reserve, 22nd Oct 2017 -
- Hickling Broad NT Reserve, 5th Nov 2017 -
- Blue House Farm EWT Reserve, 3
Andrew Stroud samples some Canadian birding in early spring of 2017.
Louise Kelly reveals why Dungeness and the oldest existing RSPB reserve is such a spectacular place to visit in winter time.
Kestrel Nestbox Update for 2017
Steve Baines gives an update on the project to install kestrel nest boxes in 2017.
Rutland Water Nature Reserve
An introduction to the internationally famous nature reserve managed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust in partnership with Anglian Water.
Swift Project Update
John Smart provides an update on efforts to install Swift nest boxes at Writtle University College.
Bird Reports May-October 2017
Bird reports from around the county including Abberton Reservoir, Dengie Peninsula, Foulness Island, Hanningfield Reservoir, Langdon Hills and Thameside Nature Park, Maldon area, Mersea Island, Metropolitan Essex (LNHS area), North and North-east Essex, RSPB Rainham Marhses, Southend area, Wat Tyler and Vange Marsh.